On February 2, 2016 I made an appearance with five other people before the Klamath County Commissioners. My objective was to urge the Commissioners to accept a plaque that stated “In God We Trust”. I wanted all who entered that room to see the plaque. Here are my notes from my 3-minute testimony:
In God We Trust - 4 simple, but profound words
WHY they are important? It is our Nation’s Motto:
1. Found on our Coin / Paper Currency (no one rejects our currency because these words are written on it)
2. Confirmed again by Congress as recently as 2011
3. Judicial Rulings - this motto does not violate Church/State
The Declaration of Independence says we are endowed with these unalienable rights LIFE, LIBERTY & PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. These rights are woven into the fabric of every human being.
Where do these rights come from?
- From Family lineage (genetically transferred generation to generation)? No.
- From Government (declarations by men/women in power)? No.
- Endowed by our creator, God? Yes.
I want this plaque placed here to remind the Commissioners today, and those who follow after you, that there is a higher power you are accountable to. I want you to remember as you serve as county commissioners your role is always to protect our natural rights, not usurp them, not to trim them, and certainly not to limit them.
If elected, I will hold myself to this same standard, as that is the proper role of those who legislate, of those who govern... to protect the natural rights God gave all of us, that of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
That is why these four words are profound, and why they matter... they remind our elected officials that they, as are we the people, are responsible to a higher power.